Alex’s flat underwent a massive renovation when she was pregnant with Scarlet that Alex managed single-handedly.
So she knows exactly what it is like to build a home from scratch into a warm, comfortable environment.
Here are her top tips:
- Live with your home for a while before you alter everything. Spend some time working out where you want to position things and then you won’t waste time and money on something you’ll want to change later.
- Don’t feel you have to fill the home straightway. The worst thing is to charge in and think ‘I’d better get some plates, some rugs and photo frames’.
- Also don’t just randomly charge in and buy something without checking that it fits in.
- Don’t impulse buy. It’s a bit like buying a fabulous dress and not knowing what occasion you’re going to, wedding, black tie, smart casual – it might look great but if it’s not appropriate it won’t feel right.
- Allow each room to develop its own personality depending on what you use it for and furnish it appropriately. When you find the personality of that room, however long it takes, only add things that express that personality.
- If you give yourself the time to get your décor and furnishings right it makes you feel good about yourself – through that pure expression of yourself.
- Don’t be afraid to throw things out. Clutter can cause chaos, if something doesn’t work in your home then it shouldn’t be there